Dial-A-Story May Menu
Check out the library’s exciting new service: Dial A Story!
If you love story times and audiobooks or you want to participate in library programs but don’t have access to a computer, you can simply call our special phone number to hear recordings read by librarians and special guests. We read picture books, chapter books, poetry, short stories, original writings, STEAM/Science info, writing or art prompts, and even tips for self-improvement. We offer a variety of recordings for every age group, for children, teens, and adults. It’s fun for people of all ages!
Call our Dial A Story service at 234-287-2020. (No worries, 234 is a local area code for Mahoning County.) Anytime, day or night, 24/7!
We update our recordings each month, and typically feature special themes (such as Asian-American/Pacific-Islander Heritage Day and the start of Summer Discovery in May). So keep checking back for new favorites, next chapters, and lots of other goodies!
Our current readings for the month of May are listed below, with their respective menu number.
For the month of May, we are highlighting Asian-American/Pacific Islander Heritage Month, as well as the start of our all ages Summer Discovery program on May 1. Sign up on our website at www.libraryvisit.org/summer-discovery.
Picture Books and Stories:
- Memorial Day Mission by Debbie Taylor – read by Ms. Amy
- Mousetronaut by Mark Kelly – read by Ms. Amy (for National Space Day on May 7)
- Here We Are by Oliver Jeffers – read by Ms. Mallory
- The Thing About Bees by Shabazz Larkin – read by Ms. Mallory
- Bicycle Safety by Lisa Herrington – read by Ms. Tracy
- Car Safety by Lisa Herrington – read by Ms. Tracy
- Stranger Safety by Lisa Herrington – read by Ms. Tracy
- “Kareem Mean Generous” by Asmaa Hussein, a chapter from the book Once Upon an Eid – read by Ms. Haneen
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin – read by Ms. Rhonda
- Chapters 1 through 4
- Chapters 5 through 11
- Chapters 12 through 15
- Chapters 16 through 19
- Chapters 20 through 23
- Chapters 24 through 30
- Chapters 31 through 36
- Chapters 37 through 45
- Chapters 46 through 48
For All Ages:
- The Youngstown Playhouse presents “The Wonderful Pump” from American Fairy Tales by Frank L. Baum – read by Richard Nelson Moore
- Reviews of #OwnVoices mysteries for Asian Pacific American Heritage Month from BookListReader.com – read by Sally
- Untitled (Dog Poem) by Joe Kotel – read by Kelly K. (for Summer Discovery theme “Tails and Tales”)
- Part 1 of William Shakespeare’s Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope, a play by Ian Doescher – read by Patrick (for Star Wars Day on May 4th)
- Part 2 of William Shakespeare’s Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope, a play by Ian Doescher – read by Patrick (for Star Wars Day on May 4th)
- Part 3 of William Shakespeare’s Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope, a play by Ian Doescher – read by Patrick (for Star Wars Day on May 4th)
- Seattle Slew, an excerpt from The Most Glorious Crown by Marvin Drager – read by Kristy
- Whirlaway, an excerpt from The Most Glorious Crown by Marvin Drager – read by Kristy
- American Pharoah, an excerpt from The Lucky Thirteen by Edward Bowen – read by Kristy
- Excerpt from Ohio Oddities by Neil Zurcher – read by Kelly M.
If there is anything specific you would love to hear on our Dial-a-Story, email your suggestions to ProgrammingDepartment@libraryvisit.org.