Marnie’s Spanish 101: Bilingual Storytime!
¡Hola! Welcome to the Public Library of Youngstown & Mahoning County’s Spanish 101 blog series! Here you will find some wonderful resources, book suggestions and activities to help you and your little ones learn Spanish and have fun while doing it.
This week, we are going to show you that teaching your kids Spanish is as simple as introducing them to the Spanish translations of some of their favorite picture books! By reading the Spanish versions of well-loved stories with them, kids will easily connect the words and phrases they’ve grown to love with their Spanish equivalent. Be sure to check out the popular titles below, and tune in to our Monday Night Bilingual Storytimes every week at 7:00 p.m. on Facebook!
It’s Bilingual Storytime! Here are some basic phrases to help you get started!
Check out some of the titles suggested below and get comfy because it’s time for bilingual storytime! Below are just some phrases you can incorporate into your storytime to make it more fun.
Let’s read! – ¡Vamos a leer!
Pick a book! – ¡Elige un libro!
We like to read – ¡Nos gusta leer!
Let’s begin – ¡Comencemos!
Who is your favorite character? – ¿Quién es tu personaje favorito?
Did you like the book? – ¿Te gustó el libro?
The End – Fin
Check Out These Great Titles in English & in Spanish
- Get your kids moving and learning Spanish with this great bilingual edition by encouraging them to follow the movements of various animals while repeating the Spanish words alongside the English ones.
- Gerald and Piggie are best friends but that doesn’t mean sharing is always easy! Click on the Spanish title above to request your copy today! Click on the English version if you’d like to have the English copy to read along with it.
- This Bilingual edition of a beloved story is a perfect way for kids to learn the different fruits in Spanish. Our hungry little caterpillar will munch his way through so many different foods, kids won’t realize they’re learning a new language!
- There’s a reason this alphabet book is a classic, and your children will enjoy this Spanish edition just as much as the original. Available for Curbside Pickup
- Check out this classic in English and in Spanish to help kids learn how to say goodnight to all of the familiar things around them in both languages!
- This classic is a great read aloud book, and the Spanish edition is no exception. Learn what each animal sees in this question-answer format book that will have kids learning new words and repeating them to improve comprehension.
These titles and many others are available from your library and will help your little ones learn Spanish with ease. Well, that’s it for now! Thank you so much for exploring this week’s Spanish 101 blog! I’ll see you next time for more fun Spanish lessons, great books and fun activities.
In case you missed them, click HERE to check out all of our Spanish 101 Blogs Series entries!
Would you like to take your Spanish lessons to the next level, or are interested in exploring other languages? Be sure to check out the free language learning resources the library offers!
- Mango Languages – Mango is our online language-learning tool with dozens of language courses available – French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Italian, English, Polish, Hebrew, etc.
- Little PIM – Introduces children, 0-6, to foreign languages in a way they can understand and enjoy.
- Transparent Language Online – Learn a new language using a self-paced, online language-learning system. The Byki learning method takes users through a series of simple steps to memorize words and phrases in a new language, including their meanings and proper pronunciation, in the shortest possible time.