Cooking with the Library: 5-Ingredient Recipes by Taste of Home
Looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal? Something fast and budget friendly? Try these recipes from 5 Ingredient Recipes by Taste of Home. Check out this and other cookbooks at the Public Library website and on Hoopla.
Bacon Potato Corn Chowder
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons in pan. Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup potato water.
- Add corn, milk, salt, pepper, potatoes, and reserved potato water to saucepan; heat through. Stir in bacon and onion.
1 cup: 335 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Sweet Onion Skillet Bread
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet*, sauté onion in butter and 1 tablespoon oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Brush bottom and sides of skillet with remaining oil. Unroll crust into skillet; flatten crust and build up edge slightly. Top with onion mixture and cheese. Bake at 450° until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cut into 4 wedges.
*PLYMC librarian’s note: I used a sheet pan and it worked just as well.
1 wedge: 415 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 776mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g