Cooking with the Library—Corn Flake Cookies
I believe I found this recipe as a teen on a Kellogg’s Corn Flake box, and have been making it every so often, ever since. It is the perfect cookie. Not too sweet, soft in the middle and crispy on the edges. It can take just about any add-in you might imagine. Try coconut, nuts, chocolate chips, peanut butter, mini marshmallows or red-hot candies!
Corn Flake Cookies
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- ½ cup butter (one stick) softened to room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten with fork
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup corn flakes
- ½ cup any nuts, chopped
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
- First, combine dry ingredients. In a bowl, stir together flour then add baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the oats. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream butter (whip it until it is soft), and add sugar gradually. Mix until light. Add the well beaten egg and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture and stir until both are combined. Stir in any add-ins, if desired. Last of all, lightly and gently stir in corn flakes by hand just until mixed.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, take small portions of batter and drop on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the centers are set. Cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet, then move to a cooling rack with a spatula.
Extra cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
**Alternative no-bake recipe:
Peanut Butter Corn Flake Cookies (no-bake version)
Peanut Butter Corn Flake Cookies are an easy and sweet treat with no baking required! Everyone will love these chewy, sweet, and salty cookies that are ready in no time at all!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups corn flakes
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and peanut butter. Cook over medium high heat until center starts to boil, make sure to stir constantly so the sugar doesn’t burn.
- As soon as the sugar mixture comes to a boil, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and corn flakes, mix until corn flakes are evenly coated in sugar mixture.
- Use an ice cream scoop to drop cookies onto parchment or wax paper as quickly as possible before mixture starts to cool and harden.
- Let cool on wax paper for 20 to 30 minutes before enjoying.