Cooking with the Library–Lemon Bars Deluxe
I received The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook by Kitty and Lucien Maynard as a gift and baked my way around the country. This recipe is from Windward House in Cape May, New Jersey, and was an instant hit with friends and relatives. It is easy to make and the combination of a shortbread crust and lemony custard filling can’t be beat!
Lemon Bars Deluxe
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
- 4 eggs beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (usually 2 lemons)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Sift together the flour and confectioners’ sugar.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture clumps together.
- Press into a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and bake in a 350° oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly browned at the edges. (Turn the pan halfway through to brown the crust evenly.)
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice together.
- Sift ¼ cup flour and baking powder together; stir into the egg mixture.
- Pour over the baked crust while still hot and return to the oven for an additional 20 or 25 minutes until lightly browned on top. (Turn the pan halfway through to brown the top evenly.)
- Cool before cutting into small bars.
Maynard, Kitty and Lucien. The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook. Vol 1. Nashville, TN: Rutledge Hill Press, 1987. Page 246.