Cooking with the Library–Make a “Brain Cake” for Halloween
Make a Brain Cake with Marshmallow Fondant and Edible Fake Blood
It can be hard to keep your zombies well-fed, but here’s a dessert idea that might knock their tops off. You can use any kind of cake and icing you want to create this brain cake, since those will be hidden by the fondant and fake blood.
Ingredients for marshmallow fondant:
- 10.5 oz package of mini marshmallows
- 3 cups of confectioners’ sugar, plus extra
- Red food coloring
- Flavoring (optional)
- To make the marshmallow fondant, first melt the marshmallows. This can be accomplished using a double-boiler on the stove, or you can heat them in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each 30 seconds until smooth.
- Slowly incorporate 3 cups confectioners’ sugar into the melted marshmallows. This will be challenging and sticky at first, but the more sugar is mixed in, the easier it becomes to work with.
- Once all three cups are thoroughly incorporated, you can begin kneading the fondant by hand on a clean, flat surface. Add more sugar to the surface to keep the fondant from sticking. Add a teaspoon of water at a time if the mixture becomes too stiff. Add the food coloring incrementally and continue kneading until the color is even throughout and the desired tint is reached. Flavoring (if desired) can be added with the food coloring.
To store the marshmallow fondant, coat the fondant in a neutral oil (like vegetable oil) and cover in cling wrap until needed.
Ingredients for edible fake blood:
- Light corn syrup
- Red and blue food coloring
In a small bowl, start with light corn syrup and add red food coloring one drop at a time, stirring thoroughly after each drop. For a darker red, a drop of blue food coloring can be added without making the mixture too purple.
To decorate the cake:
- Knead your marshmallow fondant until it is smooth and workable by hand. Roll the fondant into equally sized ropes.
- Apply to the cake in a brain-like pattern, pressing into the frosting or icing until adhered.
Once the cake is covered by fondant, apply the fake blood wherever frosting might peek through the brain matter. I like to use a darker colored blood to hide the icing, and then use a basting brush to apply a brighter shade of blood.
This will make the cake look really gruesome and delicious for zombies, even though it will not taste at all like real brain.