Cooking with the Library–Savory Noodle Kugel
This time of year, it’s nice to have a hot dinner, straight from the oven. This recipe for Savory Noodle Kugel will check that box for you and is so easy to make! Kugel is similar to a casserole and is a traditional Eastern European Jewish dish, that is perfect to make during Hanukkah. Kugel is a versatile recipe and it can be made as a sweeter dish with sugar and cinnamon or you can even substitute the noodles for potatoes.
Savory Noodle Kugel
- 1 1⁄2 Cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄4 Cups cottage cheese
- 6 tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 4 Eggs
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 1 Large yellow onion
- 8 oz. Egg noodles
- 12” Iron skillet
- Combine the sour cream, cottage cheese, eggs and melted butter in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then fold all the ingredients together until the consistency is the same throughout.
- Set the mixture aside and boil your egg noodles until they are al dente, then drain and allow noodles to cool.
- Add the wet mixture to the cooled noodles and stir, then set aside.
- Caramelize the chopped onions and garlic in a buttered 12” iron skillet.
- Stir the noodles into the iron skillet and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Most importantly, be sure to enjoy!