Cooking with the Library–Skinny Taste’s Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
Chicken parmesan is a favorite comfort food for many people, but it can be labor intensive and high calorie. This version, from the Skinnytaste website, is light and healthy, and takes very little time and effort to pull together.
Skinny Taste’s Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 jar (24oz) marinara sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
An Instant Pot electric pressure cooker
- Begin by turning your instant pot on to the sauté setting. Once it’s hot, add the oil, and the garlic. Sauté the garlic for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn the instant pot off.
- Pour in the entire jar of sauce, and then place the chicken breasts in the pot, and spoon some of the sauce over them to cover.
- Lock the lid onto the instant pot. Make sure the vent is set to “sealing.” Select “Manual” on the Instant pot, and set the timer for 4 minutes (if you are using frozen chicken, set the timer for 10 minutes).
- Once the timer goes off, carefully release the pressure by moving the steam valve to “venting.” I use the handle of a wooden spoon to nudge it open. You can also use a kitchen towel to cover the valve while you open it. Just don’t use your bare hands – the steam is VERY hot!
- Once the pressure indicator button has dropped, it’s safe to open the Instant Pot.
- Remove chicken, and place it, along with some sauce, in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese, then place under the broiler for a few minutes, watching so it doesn’t burn, just until the cheese melts.
- Serve with the extra sauce over pasta, or for a lower calorie option, over cooked spaghetti squash!