July is National Ice Cream Month
As the summer heats up, there is no doubt why July was selected by President Ronald Reagan as the official month to recognize ice cream. July is the busiest month for ice cream makers. This year, National Ice Cream Day will be on July 18, the third Sunday of the month. (Watch for a blog about National Ice Cream Day on the 18th!)
According to the International Dairy Foods Association, the Great Lakes region containing Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin is the most successful ice cream market.
The following are ice cream-based stats are from the International Dairy Foods Association and the U.S. Census Bureau:
- 23 Million – Gallons of ice cream Americans consume each year, on average.
- 22 Pounds – Amount of ice cream and related frozen desserts the average American consumes per year.
- 442 – Number of ice cream manufacturers in the U.S in 2019. Of those, 172 have less than five employees.
- Vanilla – Top ice cream flavor of Americans. Nearly two-thirds of Americans ranked vanilla as their favorite flavor.
How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
An easy, five ingredient recipe!
- 1 cup Half-and-Half or ½ whole milk and ½ cream or whole milk (won’t be as creamy)
- ¼ cup Salt-chunky is better, but any will work
- 1 ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Self-sealing bags, good quality or double bagged if necessary, 1 small, 1 large
- Pour one cup of half-and-half into the smaller bag.
- Add the vanilla extract and sugar. Seal the bag carefully and get any excess air out. Putting it into another small bag may help prevent leaks and accidental mixing with the salt.
- Fill the larger bag about ½ way with ice. Add the salt.
- Put in the small bag and add more ice on top. Seal the large bag.
- Because the salt makes the ice extra cold, you may prefer putting on gloves or oven mitts to shake the bags for about six minutes.
- Take the small bag out of the large bag and rinse it off to ensure removal of all the salt. Pay close attention to the area around the seal. If you used double small bags, this will be easier.
- Use your spoon to stir the ice cream. Then add your favorite toppings and eat it up!