Do you love sitting outside in the evenings, enjoying the fresh air, but hate getting eaten alive by mosquitoes? If so, you are not alone! Unfortunately, bug repellent sprays often have dangerous chemicals, and the newer electronic repellents can be expensive. This easy DIY project uses the trusty mason jar, along with some herbs and essential oil to craft a cute tealight holder that will help keep the mosquitoes at bay.
- Mason jars (I like pint sized for this project)
- Fresh mint, lavender, and/or rosemary
- Lemongrass essential oil
- Tealights – unscented
1. To make the candles, first slice the lemon and place a few slices in each jar.
2. Fill jar about ¾ full with water, then add any combination of herbs that you have on hand. I used a few sprigs of rosemary and some mint.
3. Next add a few drops of the lemongrass essential oil.
4. Finally, add the tealight, and light the wick.
Place outside, wherever you want a bug-free zone, and enjoy your patio again!
For more details, watch the step-by-step video here: