Even during these uncertain and unprecedented times, Social Security is still open, available, and committed to providing uninterrupted benefits and vital services that you can rely on. Although SSA offices are not open for walk-in service at this time, never fear: there are still ways to reach out to SSA for help and assistance!
First, feel free to call and speak to a SSA representative over the phone.
- Call and speak to a local representative Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm.
- 800-772-1213 or 877-714-0393
- TTY 1-800-325-0778
If for some reason your question cannot be tackled over the phone, if you are unable to obtain the information you need or are unable to conduct business online, a representative may choose to schedule an in-person appointment to help you.
Second, most business with SSA can be done online.
- Visit the website at SSA.gov for general information.
- Set up an account with My Social Security, and manage your personal benefits online.
By setting up a secure account with My Social Security, you can take care of much of your Social Security needs immediately and conveniently. The SSA website is available 24/7, from the comfort of your own home and computer/device/phone. Available tools and services include:
- Apply for Retirement, Disability, and Medicare benefits.
- Get personalized retirement benefit estimates using the new Retirement Calculator.
- Check your application status.
- Opt out of mailed notices for those available online.
- Set up or change direct deposit.
- Request a replacement Social Security card.
- Access the Representative Payee Portal.
- Get a Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) form.
- Get a proof of income letter.
- Change your address if you’re a beneficiary.
- Print a benefit verification letter.
Lastly, because getting medical and other documentation is difficult due to the pandemic, SSA will continue to extend deadlines whenever possible.
It’s a good time to plan ahead, and to know what resources are available to you. Contact the SSA for any questions, concerns and help.