Tips to Reduce Waste
Realize that small changes overall are easier than drastically changing everything all at once. Small changes add up to a big difference over time. Good luck and have fun!
Some ways to reduce food waste are included in the list below:
- When you buy fresh fruits and veggies, prioritize a spot for them so they are consumed first! That way they don’t go bad and you have to throw them out. Good for the budget as well!
- If you find your fresh herbs for your delicious recipes are wilting too fast, freeze them in an ice cube tray with olive oil. That way, they can stay in the freezer until you are ready to use them.
- Wilted, ugly herbs can be revived by removing the wilted or black leaves on soft herbs like basil, then submerged in ice water for thirty to sixty minutes.
- Buy glass instead of plastic jars, when you are at the store.
- Go as reusable as you can! Reusable grocery bags, coffee cups and water bottles are more popular than ever.
- Store an apple with your potatoes to keep them from sprouting.
- Plan out your weekly meals. That way you know exactly what to purchase and nothing will go to waste!