PUBLIC LIBRARY OF YOUNGSTOWN & MAHONING COUNTY PERIODICAL HOLDINGS
This list reflects the periodical holdings of the Main Library and all branches of the Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County. For online periodical indexes, go to the Online Resources page on the library’s website at https://www.libraryvisit.org/research/online-resources. Available from Kent State University Libraries, use Journal Finder to identify which magazine database a journal can be found.
Magazine Newspaper Holdings List – pdf file
Is the Vindicator available full text online?
Yes, much of the Vindicator from 1869-2009 is available online. From 2008-2011, Google had a Newspaper Digitization Project where the archives of local newspapers across the U.S. were digitized and made freely available online in the Google News Archives. The Vindicator was chosen, and most issues were digitized before the project was cancelled. Still not all issues digitized well, and there are many missing issues. Here are instructions on how to use the Vindicator in the Google News Archives.
Browsing Youngstown Vindicator in Google Newspaper Archive
Note: When Browsing, there are many missing issues/dates. Plus, some dates actually have 2 or more days of the newspaper linked together.
Does the library have access to all the issues of the Vindicator?
Yes, the Main Library has the Vindicator available on microfilm from 1869-present.
How can I receive a copy of a newspaper article?
If you need a copy of an article, you can either visit the Main Library or contact us to send an article to you through email at no cost or by U.S. Mail at $1.00 per page. If you come to the library, we have microfilm scanners which allow you to copy articles from microfilm to:
- save to a flashdrive at no charge
- save to the desktop and then attach to an email at no charge
- print at $.10 per 8 1/2 x 11 page or $.25 per 11 x 17 page
Is the Vindicator indexed?
Yes and No. There are indexes, but not all years of the Vindicator are indexed. Here are the time periods covered and by what indexes:
- 1869-1919 – Chronology and Subject Index – not comprehensive, only major topics/events/people included
- 1921-1930, 1939-1942 (incomplete), 1951-1952 (incomplete) – Shoe Box Index on 3×5 cards
- 1933-1938 – Bound Index – fully comprehensive
- 2001-present – Index of obituaries and major Youngstown topics (not yet available to the public)