SUMMER DISCOVERY 2021: May 1 – July 31
ALL AGES: Discover something new when you join the Summer Discovery program with the Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County.
Sign up:Summer Discovery REGISTRATION Summer Discovery LOGIN
We challenge you to earn one point per day by reading, visiting your library, or enjoying a library program or service.
How to Participate:
Track your reading or activities with this sheet by coloring one bubble each day you earn a point. Track online with the ReadSquared app or our website.
How to Earn Points:
Earn one point each day that you:
1. Spend 15 minutes reading, listening to an audiobook, or having someone read to you.
2. Visit the library to pick up a book, attend a program, design something in our MakerSpace or join us for virtual programming through the Library’s website and social media.
- 15 points – Vinyl sticker or window cling
- 30 points – Library tote bag
- 45 points – Select a free book from our summer finisher list! You’ll also earn an invitation to our end-of-summer celebration.
- More than 45 points? You’ll be entered into our summer-end raffle for more prizes!
Summer Discovery Log:
Virtual Author Visits this Summer:
Children that complete our Summer Discovery program this year will be able to attend a virtual visit with award-winning children’s book author and illustrator, Grace Lin. Grace, a Caldecott and Newbery Medal winner, is the author of picture books, early readers, and middle-grade novels and will be discussing her books and answering questions. You will receive a Zoom link in the email that you provide when registering within 24 hours of the event.
Zoom, 11 a.m. on Friday, August 6
Join us for a virtual author visit with the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Dumplin’, Julie Murphy. She’s visiting just in time to celebrate Pride Month and the release of her new young adult book, Pumpkin! Participants in this event will be eligible for a prize drawing for a signed copy of Julie’s brand-new book. Winners must be able to pick up their prize from a PLYMC library branch. For teens and adults.
Zoom, 6 p.m. on Thursday, June 10Registration – Virtual Author Visit: Julie Murphy
Jane Ann Turzillo
Ohio history overflows with tales of women behaving badly. Meet Jane Ann Turzillo, author of “Wicked Women of Ohio,” as she shares the true history of these Ohio women and their crimes.
Zoom, 7 p.m. on Tuesday, July 13Registration – Virtual Author Visit: Jane Ann Turzillo
Penguin Pen Pals:
Write to a Penguin! Stop into the library from May through July to grab a take-and-make postcard kit, pre-stamped and pre-addressed to a penguin at the Akron Zoo.
The penguins will be sending responses to the library, so stop back in after sending your postcard to see if they’ve replied.
Thank you to our generous Summer Discovery 2020 sponsors:
• Camelot Lanes
• Dollar General
• Friends of PLYMC
• Mahoning Valley Scrappers Baseball
• Rotary Club of Boardman
• Sam’s Club
• Youngstown Phantoms Hockey
• Youngstown State University, Athletic Department