Back to School
Dear Mahoning County Students, Families, and Educators:
Every year as the summer reading program ends, we know that it is time to start getting ready for homework help questions at the library. This year, return to school is looking a little different as many students will be taking classes online, while those returning to in-school learning will be getting extra lessons in health and safety. Whatever your school year looks like the Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County is here to support you. Your library card is one of the best back-to-school resources, allowing you to
- checkout or download books for school or fun.
- use online resources like Opposing Viewpoints or Oxford Research Encyclopedia to help research for school projects.
- use Wi-Fi, computers, printers, scanners, and fax machines in the library to assist you in completing schoolwork or getting ready to apply for college or jobs.
- And at any time you can ask our knowledgeable reference librarians for assistance by the phone, via email, or in person
We are here and ready to help you, but your safety and the safety of our staff is of the utmost importance. To make sure that we can aid you safely, we are taking the following safety precautions:
- Rearranging our libraries to allow for social distancing between computers and seating areas. This means we have limited seating and computers in each of our locations
- Expecting everyone visiting the library to wear a face covering and keep their mouth and nose covered for the duration of their visit. Free masks will be available to those who need one.
- Providing curbside pickup of library materials if you are not comfortable coming into the library for materials.
- Frequently cleaning high-touch areas of the library.
- Providing virtual programming to engage library users of all ages with fun reading and learning content while in person programming is not possible.
- Refraining from hosting any in-person large programs like our After-School Programs.
- Closing all libraries by 7:00 pm and reserving the first hour at each location for vulnerable populations
Please help us to keep our community safe by ensuring that you and your family wear masks in the library, maintain social distance both inside and outside of library buildings, and by practice healthy hand washing hygiene. We know that students, families, and educators use library resources to support learning all year long and as we embark on a quite different school year, we want to make sure we are supporting your continued success. Please check www.libraryvisit.org to read about our safety precautions and available services. This site is updated often and will have the most up to date information at any given time.
Best wishes for a successful school year,
Director of Youth Services and Programs
Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County
PLYMC’s Library Anywhere Back to School Podcast
Going back to school looks very different for many this year, but whether you are schooling at home, attending school fulltime in a classroom, or some hybrid of the two, the Public Library of Youngstown and Mahoning County is here to help! September’s Library Anywhere Podcast has something for teachers, parents and students no matter what your school year looks like.