Looking for book title recommendations? Why not read books nominated by students like you! The Buckeye Children’s & Teen Book Awards (BCTBA), opens a new window are the only state awards of book titles that are nominated and voted on by students across the state. The only adults who can submit nominations or votes are teachers and librarians who are representing students.
Voting for this year will be from September 1 through November 10.
Here are the 2023 nominees:
For Grades K-2
- Hey, Bruce! (Mother Bruce vol. 8) by Ryan T. Higgins (Disney-Hyperion, 2022)
- Knight Owl by Christopher Denise (Christy Ottaviano Books, 2022)
- Pizza and Taco by Stephen Shaskan (Random House Graphic, 2022)
- The Sour Grape (The Food Group vol. 6) by Jory John and Pete Oswald (HarperCollins, 2022)
- The Smart Cookie (The Food Group vol. 5) by Jory John and Pete Oswald (HarperCollins, 2021)
For Grades 3-5
- Endlessly Ever After by Laurel Snyder and Dan Santat (Chronicle Books, 2022)
- Falling Short by Ernesto Cisneros (Quill Tree Books, 2022)
- Hot Dog by Doug Salati (Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2022)
- Kick Push by Frank Morrison (Bloomsbury Children’s Books, 2022)
- Northwind by Gary Paulsen (Farrar, Straus and Giroux BYR, 2022)
For Grades 6-8
- Attack of the Black Rectangles by Amy Sarig King (Scholastic Press, 2022)
- Hooky (Vol. 1) by Míriam Bonastre Tur (Clarion Books, 2021)
- Play Like a Girl by Misty and David Wilson (Balzer + Bray, 2022)
- The Messengers (Greystone Secrets vol. 3) by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Katherine Tegen Books, 2021)
- Worser by Jennifer Ziegler (Margaret Ferguson Books, 2022)
The Teen Buckeye Book Award nominees (for grades 9-12)
- Heartstopper, Volume 4 by Alice Oseman (Graphix, 2022)
- Lore by Alexandra Bracken (Disney-Hyperion, 2021)
- The Promised Neverland by Kaui Shirai, illus. by Posuka Demizu (VIZ Media, 2021)
- Two Truths and a Lie by April Henry (Christy Ottaviano Books, 2022)
Make sure you check out your age groups’ titles today!
Interested in nominating a book for next year? Nominations for 2024 are open now! Follow this link to nominate your choice that has been published within the last two years and not part of a series that has already won: http://bcbookaward.info/nominate, opens a new window
Looking for book title recommendations? Why not read books nominated by students like you! The Buckeye Children’s & Teen Book Awards are the only state’s awards of book titles that are nominated and voted on by students across the state. Here are this year's nominees! The other nominee for grades 6-8: Play Like a Girl by Misty and David Wilson is currently not in our system, but has been ordered!