November is a time when many gather together to celebrate Thanksgiving. During these celebrations, many share family histories and memories. If you are looking for newspaper stories to help spur memories – or even verify events – the Library can help!
MyHeritage Library Edition, opens a new window, free to all PLYMC Library Cardholders, is not just a genealogy resource to find family records. It contains newspaper collections and allows you to keyword search all newspapers digitized during a scanning project, opens a new window started by Google in 2008. While the project ended, opens a new window in 2011, all of the digitized newspapers are still available online for free in Google’s Newspaper Archives, opens a new window, including 1869-June 2009 issues of the Youngstown Vindicator.
Follow the steps below to get started:
- Go to the Library’s Genealogy, opens a new window or History & Culture, opens a new window webpages
- Open MyHeritage Library Edition, opens a new window
- Click Newspapers (found down the right column of Categories)
- Choose Ohio Newspapers
- For best results, type entire name or business in the Last Name field
- Type Youngstown in the Publication place field.
- Click Search.
- Results can be refined by publication title, year or place if many results are found.
By the way, there is also a helpful instruction document available online here, opens a new window, which can be viewed and printed.
For more genealogy tools and programs, visit our dedicated Genealogy and Local History, opens a new window web page or schedule an appointment with a librarian, opens a new window to receive one-on-one assistance.
Enjoy your hunt for historic events and family stories published in the local newspaper!